Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find a map of the race course?
Swim/Bike/Run course maps are available in the course section of the web site.
What are the courses cut off times?
- Swim – 1 Hour and 10 minutes after the start of the last swim wave
- Bike – 5 Hours after the start of the last swim wave
- Final cutoff – 8 Hours after the start of the last swim wave
What nutrition will be available on course?
There will be aid stations along the bike course offering:
- Ironman PERFORM
There will be aid stations approximately every mile on the run course offering:
- Ironman PERFORM
Where does Ochsner IRONMAN 70.3 New Orleans takes place?
Ochsner IRONMAN 70.3 New Orleans takes place in southeast Louisiana, home of the world-renowned French Quarter, Bourbon Street and the infamous Mardi Gras Carnival, Louisiana is a unique destination.
What is the entry fee?
See the General Entry page for latest pricing.
Will onsite registration be available?
If the event is not sold-out online, we will take onsite registrations during athlete check-in hours. Athletes will be charged an additional $25.00 USD late registration fee on top of general registration. Please check the registration tab on the website for information on standard entry fees.
What is the Refund/Withdrawal Policy?
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before March 7, 2014 to be eligible for a partial refund of $75.00 USD. Transfers or deferments are NOT permitted.
Do I need to qualify, validate or confirm my entry by completing another event?
No, competitors do not need to qualify or validate to enter. However, we do suggest competing in a shorter distance triathlon event before race day.
Is there a waiting list for the races when they are sold out?
No, we don’t offer a waiting list.
Are there age requirements?
Entrants must be 18 years of age on race day.
What age group will I race in on race day?
All qualifying events will implement both the International Triathlon Federation and USA Triathlon’s Age Group Competition rule: All age group athletes must compete in the age group division corresponding to the athlete’s age on December 31st of the year of the event. Relay teams will compete in gender divisions: male, female and co-ed.
How do I determine whether I should race as an age grouper or professional?
Professionals must hold a valid professional/elite card or a letter from their country’s federation. For more information on Ironman pro membership, please log onto www.ironmanpromembership.com.
My team would like to withdraw from the race. What is the refund policy?
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via e-mail to email@example.com . Without exception, all requests must be received on or before March 7, 2014 to be eligible for a partial refund of $75.00 (USD). Transfers or deferrals are NOT permitted.
How do I switch out of or into an existing relay?
Only the team captain (i.e. the person that completed the registration) can request a switch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before April 1, 2014.
Can I change my relay entry to an individual entry?
If general registration is open, you will be able to change your entry. You will NOT receive the difference in entry fee. Requests must be received in writing via e-mail to email@example.com. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before April 1, 2014.
What if my team members can’t compete due to unforeseen circumstances and I am the only one on my team?
If only one athlete remains on the team due to injury or other circumstances, that athlete can participate as an individual entry. The individual will not receive the difference in entry fee.
Do all team members have to be at athlete check-in at the same time?
No, but each relay member must pick up their own packet.
Will all team members receive a shirt and medal?
Yes, each athlete that participates in a relay will receive a shirt and medal.
Can family members and/or friends check-in for me and pick-up my race packet?
No, only registered athletes are allowed into athlete check-in. Please bring your photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) during designated check-in hours.
Who is the contact for the official merchandise?
For inquiries about merchandise, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I purchase event merchandise?
Please click here to purchase merchandise. Merchandise wll be available at the race expo as well.
Who do I contact regarding race photos?
FinisherPix is proud to be selected as the Official Photo Service. FinisherPix will have several photographers working at the swim exit, on the bike course, on the run course, and of course, at the Finish Line! In addition, FinisherPix will have photographers positioned after the finish where you can have a photo taken after you receive your medal.
So what do you need to do?
1. Register your email address at www.finisherpix.com to be notified as soon as photos are online
2. Please be sure you have your number visible on the FRONT of your bike helmet so we can identify your cycling photos
3. Please be sure to keep your bib number visible on the FRONT of your body during the run & at the finish line so we can identify your photos
4. Smile & celebrate when you cross the finish line! Don’t worry about touching your watch, the timing company will ensure an accurate record of your achievement. Visit www.finisherpix.com to view, order, and share your photos from the event!
How does the age group slot allocation work?
- Prior to race day, at least one slot shall be tentatively allocated to each Age Group category (both male and female). Please see the official Age Group category breakdown listed below.
- Final slot allocation will be determined on race day based on the number of official starters. If there are no starters in a particular Age Group, then that slot will be moved to the next calculated Age Group within the gender.
- Final slot allocation shall be representative of the actual number of Age Group starters in each category in the race. For example, if 8% of the Age Group starters are Female 40-44, then 8% of the slots are allocated to the Female 40-44 category.
- Athletes MUST claim their slot in-person during the designated registration period for the world championship. Please check the Schedule of Events for more information.
What is rolldown and how does it work?
- At the conclusion of on site registration for the automatic qualifiers, any unclaimed slots within an Age Group will be rolled down to the next eligible finisher within that Age Group.
- If an athlete chooses not to take the slot, does not attend the rolldown ceremony or has already qualified, the next eligible finisher in that Age Group may claim the qualifying slot.
- Following rolldown, any unclaimed slots within an Age Group will be reallocated to another Age Group within the gender based on the athletes-to-slots ratio.
- The Age Group within the gender with the largest athletes-to-slots ratio will receive the first reallocated slot, followed by the next largest ratio receiving the second re-allocated slot (if applicable), and so on.
1. In accordance with the World Triathlon Corporation Anti -Doping Policy, all athletes accepting qualifying slots for the 2014 Ford Ironman World Championship and 2014 Marine Corps Ironman World Championship 70.3 will be required to sign a condition of Entry, Release and Indemnification waiver, by which they agree to be placed into the WTC Registered Testing Pool for both in and out of competition testing, and voluntarily consent to be governed by the published rule: www.ironmanpromembership.com
2. We encourage all athletes to be familiar with the most current WADA Prohibited list which can be found: http://ironmanpromembership.com/anti-doping/
3. According to the World Anti-Doping Agency and the 2010 International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions, there are some substances which require a Declaration of Use. The WTC recommends completing this in two ways:
a) Filing a Declaration of Use directly to your NADO or through your secured ADAMS login The WTC Declaration of Use form can be found - www.ironmanpromembership.com
b) On the Doping Control Official Record at the time of testing should you be selected for Doping Control The substances which require a Declaration of Use are listed below:
i) Albuterol and Salmeterol by inhalation for the treatment of asthma
ii) Inhaled or locally injected glucocorticosteroids (intramuscular use requires a TUE)
iii) Platelet Rich Plasma injections (except intramuscular which requires a TUE)
Do I have to pay for my 70.3 Championship slot on Race Day?
Yes. If you wish to accept a slot in the world championship, you must pay at the time of slot acceptance, or on race day.
What is the Age Group breakdown?
What categories are offered?
Professional, Age Group, Physically Challenged, and Relay.
Why do I have to be a member of USAT or buy a one-day license and what does that insurance cover?
USA Triathlon will sanction this race. To complete the online registration process, athletes will need to enter their USAT annual license number or purchase a one-day license ($12.00 USD) during online registration. Athletes must bring their photo identification and show proof of current USAT membership during Athlete Check-In. If you cannot produce the above mentioned, you will be required to purchase a one-day license on-site. Please visit http://www.usatriathlon.org/pages/668 for a complete set of the competitive rules.
What are the swimwear restrictions?
Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding. Simply put, this would generally refer to suits made only from nylon or Lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor extend past the knees. Swimwear may contain a zipper. A race kit may be worn underneath swimwear.
What are the wetsuit restrictions?
- Wetsuits cannot measure more than 5 mm thick.
- Wetsuits are permitted if the water temperature is up to (and including) 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) or colder.
- Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius).
- Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) and 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit (28.8 degrees Celsius) will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots.
- Full wetsuits are permitted (arms and legs covered).
- The De Soto Water Rover wetsuit is PROHIBITED
Are disk wheels allowed?
Yes, disk wheels are allowed.
Who do I contact for media-related inquiries?
Can I take my car on the race course to watch my athlete?
No, the race course is closed to spectator traffic.
Will I be allowed to cross the finish line with my athlete?
Friends and/or family members are not permitted to cross the finish line or enter the finish chute with participating athletes. This policy allows each competitor adequate time to celebrate their accomplishment without interfering with other finishers and ensure the safety of all participants, volunteers and fans. Athletes who choose not to respect the policy will receive an automatic disqualification (DQ).
Will I be allowed into the finish line area to greet my athlete?
Unfortunately, due to high congestion in the finish line area, no spectators will be allowed. Please do not try to gain access to this area, as it must remain clear for the safety of the athletes. Before the event, you and your athlete should decide on a meeting place for after they have finished.
Will I be allowed into the medical tent to look for my athlete if they have not arrived at our meeting destination?
The Medical Tent is highly congested and spectators will not be allowed in.
Where will Lost and Found be located during the event?
Lost and Found items will be available at the Announcer’s Tent. It is recommended that you mark your gear with your race number as Ironman is not responsible for lost items.
After the conclusion of the event, please contact 504-454-6561 to locate any missing items and schedule returns. Shipping fees will apply.
*All unclaimed items will be donated within 30 days.
What is the race week schedule?
Please check the schedule of events on the race website and refer to the Athlete Information Guide which will be posted two weeks prior to race day.
What is the timing system used?
ChampionChip Timing Systems
If I have my own chip can I use it?
See Susan at athlete check in.
I didn’t turn in my timing chip after the race. Where do I return it so I won’t be charged the “lost chip” fee?
Mail chip and strap in a padded envelope to:
Premier Event Management
509 S. Al Davis Rd., Suite B
Harahan, LA 70123
Will there be live on-line tracking and results on race day?
Yes, please visit www.ironman.com for live race day coverage including athlete tracking and up-to-date race results.
Where can I sign up to volunteer?
Information on volunteering is available in the volunteer section of the website.
What is the host hotel and how do I find other lodging information?
Hotel accommodations and information will be available in the accommodations section of the website.
Who is the bike transport provider?
Bike shipping accommodations and information will be available in the bike shipping section of the website.